Web Storage API
HTML5 gave us this beautiful thing: consistent cross-browser local storage of ‘vast amounts’ of data on the visitor’s computer in the form of the Web Storage API. The default quota is 5MB, which is huge compared to cookies. I’m using it in the development of Bridal App. It allows the app to respond near-instant to user actions and continue to function even when offline. All modern browsers support it (on desktop as well as on mobile) so life is great. Right?
For some years now I’ve had the feeling that Firefox’ development has been going in the wrong direction. The software just never seemed to get back to the speedy experience we had with Firefox 2.
Another project I have had this feeling with is Eclipse.
It turns out that both these projects share a commonality: long, standing, unresolved issues to core functionality.
Have a look at this Firefox issue:
Bug 195361 – Can’t select text from disabled form fields
MySQL’s utf8 is broken
MySQL really made a mess here. What they are calling
utf8 really isn’t. Hidden away in the MySQL manual we can read this:
“The character set named utf8 uses a maximum of three bytes per character and contains only BMP characters.”
Loosely translated: MySQL utf8 is broken. Don’t use it.
When I tried to install the Openshift Client Tools all seemed well until I tried to run
C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file -- dl/import (LoadError)
from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/pageant.rb:1:in `'
Today at work we found a subtle issue that will sometimes break your code in very difficult to find ways. Read this if you don’t like days of bug hunting for mysterious issues only occurring on high-load production machines.
Ever wrote code like this?
private static final DateFormat FORMAT = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd");
Most of us did. It’s the most intuitive way to use a DateFormat to format some Date object as a human-readable String.
Unfortunately, it’s wrong.
When used in a multi-threaded context (e.g. in a Servlet), this will end up breaking. Sometimes. When you least expect it.
Back in september of 2010 I wrote a blog post about the Breaking Float rendering bug I found in WebKit, the rendering engine backing the Safari, Chrome and Opera browsers. In april of 2013 the WebKit team landed a patch which would eventually end up in the browsers relying on WebKit. Case closed right? Well, not quitte…
Blink brought it back
Coincidentally, in the same month that the Breaking Float bug was fixed, Google forked WebKit into a new project called ‘Blink’. And the fix to the Breaking Float bug was not in the fork. Over time, the Chrome browser switched over to using Blink instead of WebKit, bringing back the issue in all it’s breaking glory.
Apache 2.4 running on Windows hangs when Internet Explorer 10/11 is used to acces pages on it.
I had a very reproducible scenario: Only the first request to Apache coming from IE would work, all other subsequent requests would hang, in all browsers. As long as I did not use Internet Explorer there did not seem to be a problem, but once that was used everything would hang until Apache was restarted. Strangely enough after I had applied the fix (see below) I reverted it to do some more testing but was not able to reproduce the problem anymore…